Wednesday, May 12, 2010

essay3

I'm still unsure as to which direction I'd like to take with essay 3. I may go the women's rights and feminism route and look further into "A Room of One's Own" because Virginia Woolf has always interested me and I haven't read that piece of her work. If I am able to find a piece of visual art or poetry that has a political message, I would like to write about that. If there are any artists you know of please send them my way. I am more concerned with artwork and its relation to the purpose, rather than the movement itself.

3 comments:

  1. Collyn - If you're interested in feminism/women's issues and the visual arts, some names to look up would be Barbara Kruger and Judy Chicago. There is also a group called the Guerrilla Girls that does clever actions to highlight sexism in the art world.

    Judy Chicago has a huge famous piece called the Dinner Party that's at the Brooklyn Museum of Art that would be a great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got another idea today, but i don't know if it would count as a political statement/ movement through art. I was thinking about edible gardens at primary schools like seen in this blog www.youmightlikethis.com/2009/11/thanksgiving
    the artist Maira Kalman http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/ there she has a little bio and other artworks/ blogs. Do you think there any way I could write essay three on something like this??
    If not I will continue on with Barbara Kruger, probably the I Shop Therefore I Am piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Collyn - There's a whole movement now about school and community gardens, so if you're willing to do background research on that you should find some good materials - as long as you have a clear idea that you see political content in the work.

    ReplyDelete