Tuesday, March 23, 2010

post1

The visual arts have been a part of my life since I can remember. Drawing and painting are the best way I know how to express myself, and have become the form of art that I most appreciate. However when it comes to politics and protest, I must say, music tends to be the most important. Music often keeps the listener repeating and retelling the message if it is a piece with strikingly memorable qualities. In many ways music has changed how I view the world by way of droning out the day's surrounding sounds, inspirational lyrics, and causing awareness. One of my favorite bands Iron & Wine made some statements to the Bush Administration in their latest album. I prefer the underlying motives in songs like "Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car" rather than blatant protest. Hopefully sometime in the future I can get myself into some form of political protest and fight for the things I believe in through my art.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. Why do you think music is the most effective? How does a song like the one you mention go about making its point if not directly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find music to be the most effective from of art protest because of its vast audience. Although I strongly believe the masses ought to pay attention to the visual arts, that is often not the case. Music is widespread, not intimidating, and easily accessible. Iron and Wine used symbolism in their lyrics, rather than blatantly suggesting Bush's incompetence. They refer to him as the 'king' that is 'fumbling for the royal keys,' after his drunken past was revealed to the nation, in "Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car." It took an interest in the music and research on the album for me to understand this song's meaning. These types of lyrics don't outright offend people whereas some rappers' lyrics clearly state who and for what they are protesting; that which may be honest and effective, but can also cause resistance.

    ReplyDelete